Silky Secretary Blouse

Following on from the jedi jacket, I thought I’d stick with Simplicity 3631 a little while longer and make a blouse using the bodice from the dress and the poofy, cuffed sleeves from the long jacket. On closer inspection, however, I realised that the jacket and coat both have raglan sleeves, which wouldn’t work to just attach to the bodice (which needs a cap sleeve). So rather than go through some extensive redrafting session, I just used a cap sleeve pattern piece from elsewhere, widened the hem, and created my own cuff to button closed at the wrist.

But even this was far from straightforward. After a quick muslin I realised I’d need to lengthen the bodice by about three inches and enlarge the armscye by a bit, too (both of which are as you’d expect for changing from a sleeveless shell to a blouse, though!). I also had to create neckline facings, which I just traced off the regular pattern pieces.

And ohhhhhh! The silk charmeuse I used is just gorgeous. It’s beautiful to touch, it’s beautiful to watch (almost hypnotic in its movement), and after I switched to a fresh Sharp needle, also lovely to sew. The Face in the Crowd print is most prominent on the matte side of the fabric, so I made that outward facing, keeping the shiny side to glide against the skin. Mmmmm.

You may think the neckline could do with some jazzing up, and I did think about attaching some black sequinned flowers I got from Johnny Loves Rosie’s sample sale, but my main aim for this blouse in my FW/07 Collection is to layer under the Go Patterns Little Black Dress, and anything too prominent just wouldn’t look right under another layer.

I’ve already started on BurdaStyle’s Janina trousers and Franzi vest/waistcoat in black wool pinstripe as the next step in the Collection…

Leave a Reply