Eyes on The Prize

BurdaStyle held a pattern competition in June and July to search for new styles to turn into open-source patterns for their site, with a prize of $500 for the winner (not quite as impressive with the devaluing dollar, but still a nice chunk of change)!

I’d done loads of pattern alterations before, but never created a pattern from scratch. I had a vision of a simple lined sheath with a gathered, dropped, and curved shoulder seam and a wide neckline. The side opening could be buttoned, zippered, or even corset laced, and since it was lined you could even make it out of semi sheer or holey fabrics like lace. I saw a lot of possibilities in my mind’s eye, but even after 3 muslins, the shoulder seam still didn’t work out quite the way I wanted, but that was more down to my sewing than the pattern itself. Still, the pattern was simple versatile, and left wide open for customisation, which didn’t seem far off the ethos of BurdaStyle itself.

I used a very pretty peach 1930s patterned cotton for eQuilter and for some naughty’n‘nice contrast, appliqued black leather onto the front and topped it all off with some black and white vintage buttons and some black topstitching.

I didn’t really expect to win, but I figured I couldn’t win if I didn’t enter at all, and at the very least it’d give me some valuable patternmaking experience! The winning entry is so much better than mine that I have no qualms at all saying that I’m going to make it as soon as the pattern is available on the site. It kinda reminds me of the Marc Jacobs top I copied a while back, but with loads more ruffles. And in this case, more ruffles = better than!

PS: If anyone’s in need of a Playlouder invite leave a comment and I’ll see what I can do!

Leave a Reply