There's no Depression here…

I’m terribly excited to have finally begun work on Folkwear’s 1930s Day Dress! I bought the pattern and both the vintage-print crepe de chine and the contrasting teal crepe de chine (which you may recognise from the kimono top) a few months ago, but I set myself a goal that I wouldn’t make the dress until my measurements matched that of my dressmaker’s dummy, unpadded (yes, I realise it’s adjustable, but bear with me here). I’m happy to say that I’ve lost the 4 inchess off my waist that held the biggest discrepancy between myself and Susan (said dummy), and I’m headlong into a new project, thankfully with enough summer left for a vain hope to still wear it before the first frost!

I’m lining the entire dress in a white china silk since the printed fabric is a tad sheer in direct sunlight, so everything’s taking twice as long as it should, but after two evenings I’ve nearly finished the bodice – I’ve just got to attach the other sleeve and make the buttonholes, and then work can begin on the full skirt. I think the dress cries out for a belt, as in the pattern photo, but I’m undecided on how it should look, and there aren’t too many varieties of buckles available in the UK, not that I can find, anyway. It’ll definitely be in the contrasting teal fabric, but after that, I’m open to suggestion…

Leave a Reply