I’m teaching a bunch more classes in the next month and wanted to let you all know in case any of you Londoners fancied coming and learning about the joys of stretch fabrics from me!
All of the classes are aimed at beginners – you should know the basics of a sewing machine, but don’t necessarily have ever worked with stretch fabrics before. You’ll get to know the fun of an overlocker, the joys of a twin needle, and come away with a newfound greed for all things jerseys.
They all take place at the ThriftyStitcher studio in Stoke Newington, right by Clissold Park (an easy walk from Canonbury Overground or there are tons of buses), and include unlimited tea, coffee, and biccies to fuel your sewing.
Sew a Classic Breton Tee
Sunday 30 March, 14:30-18:00
Does your life need a little ooh la la? Is there a certain je ne sais quoi missing from your wardrobe? Learn to sew the classic Breton tee with us! You should already be comfortable using a sewing machine, and this class will cover stretch fabric basics as well as an introduction to the overlocker (serger).
You’ll make a striped, long or 3/4 sleeved teeshirt using a pattern, which will give you the skills you need to sew your own teeshirts (long or short sleeved) at home.
- Learn how to use an overlocker to achieve a professional finish
- Use a simple teeshirt binding on the neckline
- Use a twin needle for a great, stretchy hem
- Set in sleeves the easy way with the “flat insertion” technique.
Sunday 23 March, 14:30-17:30 OR Thursday 3 April 18:30-21:30
Whether you wear them for exercise or just lounging around, leggings are an everyday wardrobe staple that are quick and easy to make yourself – once you know how! You should already be comfortable using a sewing machine, and this class will cover stretch fabric basics as well as an introduction to the overlocker (serger). In this class you’ll learn how to…
- Use an overlocker to achieve a professional finish
- Finish an elastic waistband without an awkward casing
- Master the twin needle to get a great looking hem
- Adapt a pattern to match your leg length (so no more baggy “elephant ankles”!)
You choose your own fabric in advance of this class so you’ll have a pair of leggings you love (don’t worry – we’ll supply a list of good online suppliers).
Friday 28 March, 18:30-22:00
Looking to sew something special for yourself?
Some lacey little panties are the perfect way to spice up your sewing and get started with stretch fabrics, fancy trims, and special laces. You should already be comfortable using a sewing machine, and this class will cover stretch fabric basics and the application of elastic.
- You’ll be using a pdf pattern to create a pair of pants with stretch lace sides, gusset, and elasticated edges
- Learn the secrets of lace placement to best take advantage of motifs and scalloped edges
- Discover the clever “burrito method” of enclosed seams
- Learn how to neatly apply lingerie elastic to get a high-end finish
These pants are also a great way to use up little scraps of stretch fabrics from other projects, well-loved teeshirts, or even refashion some existing lingerie, so feel free to bring along fabrics and stretch laces you’d like to use.
Note that we’ll be offering a few different styles of panties this time so if you don’t like thongs, that’s not a problem!
There are quite a few places booked already – any FehrTrade readers coming along? Let me know in the comments!