Please welcome the newest Fehr Trade sewing pattern… the Threshold Shorts!
A running short designed for lightweight wovens or mesh fabrics with three optional pockets, curved seamlines, bound hem, and elastic waist. An optional runderwear brief or thong can be attached at the waistband or worn separately.
So why am I releasing a shorts pattern in September?? Well, this particular pattern has been in development since May, and it’s been my most technically challenging pattern to date. Anyone can design shorts that look good standing still, but it’s another matter entirely to design shorts that look good while you’re running at threshold pace. And well, this is how long it took me until I was happy with the result.
I’m not just saying that, either – I will be running Berlin marathon in two weeks in a pair of these shorts. Quite honestly, I wouldn’t be doing this if I had any doubts about their performance or comfort, because a marathon is a very long time indeed to be annoyed with a garment!
If you don’t believe me though, here are some comments from my pattern testers:
- “I always though running shorts would not be flattering (being pear shaped), but these were cooler than leggings and I rather like them, so I think I am a convert to running shorts now.”
- “I was desperately needing new running shorts and just wasn’t thrilled with what I’ve seen available in patterns. I wanted something that actually took into consideration that I will actually run in them, not just lounge in them.”
- “I’d especially recommend these to the older sewers who are going through their post-menopausal ‘I’m too old and fat’ thinking. Because these shorts fit me. These shorts also seem to cover my thighs and don’t feel like these will flip up in the wind or when I’m running.”
- “I enjoyed sewing these, the curving construction and piecing was fun and looks good.”
- “I can see these being really comfortable PJ bottoms too. I hate long legged PJ bottoms (it’s hot here) and boxer style shorts has been on my list for a really long time. I’m so happy to have these lovely comfy shorts “
And as with my VNA Top Pattern, I’ve included diagrams for common fit alterations alongside the fully illustrated instructions, so if you need a longer rise, longer legs, or more thigh girth, then I’ve got you covered.
To celebrate the release of the Threshold Shorts pattern, you can get 15% off all my patterns by using code “BERLINMARATHON” up through marathon day (28 September).
But that’s not all – UKFabrics has also offered FehrTrade readers 10% off their airtex mesh and 2oz technical nylon fabrics, which are some of the recommended fabrics for this pattern! Just use code “UK-FEHR-01”.
I’ll be updating my Global Exercise fabric supplier list since these shorts use different fabrics than my previous patterns, but I can also say that the “aerated polyesters” from Sewing Chest are also great, and that this eBay Shop has some fantastic FOE for the hem bindings!